The hill of the famous Oppidum d'Enserune on which the Domaine de Soustres is located is considered by several historians as the cradle of wine in France and part of our civilization.
The archaeological site of the Oppidum of Enserune
From the 6th century B.C., this strategic position as a promontory and the proximity of the sea allowed the first city of Ensérune to flourish, well before the cities of Narbonne and Béziers. It was here that the Etruscans and then the Greeks began the wine trade in Gaul.
The archaeological excavations carried out show that vines have been cultivated in the Biterrois area since 300 B.C. brought by the Iberians, Celts and Greeks.
It is with the development of Narbonne from 120 B.C. and the distribution of the lands of the Narbonnaise to Roman veterans that the vineyard will know its expansion.
The estate of Soustres became a large Roman villa, then, as a result of the invasions, a Visigoth hamlet, then Sarrasin, a monastery, before becoming a seigniorial estate.
After the war of the Albigensians against the Cathars (early 13th century), the estate came under the control of the diocese of Narbonne under the name of "Garsagas and Balmas". The southern flank is ceded (Domaine de Régimont).
In the middle of the 16th century, the estate belonged to four owners including Jaume Soustre whose grandson Pierre Thomas Soustre bought all the land.
The Domaine de Soustres was born around 1650 and by marriage, the estate became part of the heritage of the "de Portalon" family and remained so until the mid-1970s.
In 1975, Jean Mamert bought the estate and in 2015, his son Jean-Paul and his wife Anne-Sophie took over the estate.